Collection: Part3

reflection

1 Feb Thursday

1 Feb Thursday

1 Feb Thursday

First step of making theme.

Preparing my interview for entering university, I could not concentrate on my Unit7, so I had to decide my theme on Thursday, having writing workshop. Because of insufficient time, I should have to write my themes quickly. Thus, in my first proposal for Unit7, my themes were made poorly. And in the context workshop time,  I could not write about 7 category – the culture context, the pathway context, my personal context, the art + design context, the end user context, the political context and the historical context- perfectly as well. However, while doing these process, I could know what I am interested in and what I will design for. After having the class, I got a time for advice from tutors to make sure my theme and what I need to research for the theme. From the advice, I was wonder I will be able to research about cooking processes of Korean foods in a Korean restaurant in London. To know whether it is possible or not, I decided to research the cooking process first.

9 Feb Friday

Today, I visited Korean restaurant, Yori, to resarch about cooking process of Korean food to know what kinds of tools are used for particular Korean foods. The reason why I visited the restaurant was that I could get help for my research  in the restaurant  because I am a regular customer of there. However, unfortunately, the owner said I cannot research in the kitchen of the restaurant because chef do not like showing cooking process. Instead, I could know the fact that the most of Korean food in Korean restaurant in London are made with a wok which is the Chinese big pot and mixing paddle because the wok could be used as a fry pan and a pot. But, that information was not helpful  for me because I need to know Korean cooking tools. So, I had wanted to visit other Korean restaurant, thought the owner said I cannot observe the cooking process in other restaurant as well. Thus, I had to decide to fix my proposal through this time visiting Korean restaurant.

15 Feb Thur

Yesterday, I fixed my proposal, then I bring it today to check it with my tutor. Firstly, my project title was ‘Korean food for Europe’ but the title sounded like specific idea, so I should replace it to ‘Korean wave – food culture for Europe’. From tutor, I heard what I need to fix more. It was that I should replace brief images to the images which are designers’ works with their names. And, she said I need to fill out my time table much specifically. So, I wanted to fix them, though I could not do all of them because of my tiredness. As a result, I was not able to fix them all and I could not upload my proposal on the moodle within draft submission deadline.

In conclusion, tutor said my content of proposal was well considered and made, so I was delightful. But, I was not able to fix my proposal and not finished it until deadline. And I got an instructive study form my mistake. It is that staying up all night before submission day could make truble.

19 Feb Mon

After visiting Korean restaurant for research, I made mind map first. In the process of mindmap, I thought about Korean food’s composition such as side dishes, dishware, tableware, main dishes and a lot of sauces to find the characteristic of Korean food culture. While finding the bibimbap, a lot of Korean side dishes for topping are needed. Generally, that is not problem to Korean because Korean people always eat the side dishes and they have been always prepared. Thus, I decided to find the recipe of toppings and to make new recipe so that European people can cook them fast and easily.

Secondly, I thought about bibimbap and pork belly barbecue and the eating way of them. To get better taste for bibimbap, people tend to use hot bowl because the hot bowl can make crust of overcooked rice. And when it comes to pork belly barbecue, I thought that many Korean people use the cap of gamasot ( Korean traditional pot’s cap ) to cook the pork belly barbecue because they believe that using it makes better taste. Accidentally, Korean traditional pot is used for cooking steamed rice and crust of overcooked rice, so I decided to design Korean cookware for bibimbap and pork belly barbecue. Then, I drew some idea sketches.

20 Feb Tusday

On Monday, to research European tablewares or cookwares, I decided to go to divertimenti shop which my tutor had suggested for me. When I arrived there, the shop was not there. At that time, I was confused because on a map the shop must be there. However, in other map, the shop was in different location. Although I wanted to go there, I did not have much time t go there because the shop would close soon. While being anxious, I found a shop: Skandium. And, as I had wanted to throw today out, I visited the scandium shop. Fortunately, I could find an interesting set o teapot there, even though there were a lot of tablewares and cookwares. The set consisted of a teapot and its warmer. The reason why I interested in it was that the function of warmer of the teapot design was what I need for my design because my product need warmer to enjoy bibimbap, one of Korean foods. I thought that the function was nice but its power of fire would not be suitable for my product. Because, the warmer’s fuel was a small candle. As my product should cook pork belly barbecue as well, the warmer’s power should be higher than the candle warmer, I thought. As a result, through today’s research, I could find that I need to research about suitable fuel for my product’s warmer.

21 Feb Wednesday

Today, I visited divertimenti shop where I had not been able to go yesterday. When I enter the entrance, firstly, I could see a plate set. And, I could watch the set interestingly because the printed images in each plate of the set were making me imagine dishes which will be plated. Also, I thought that the printing might be good for my product. So I took pictures of the set for my research data.

While walking around in the shop, I could feel that a lot of European tablewares and cookwares were similar to Korean tablewares and cookwares. However, there were several unique cookwares. The first one was an ice cream machine. I was surprised at the machine because it was quite small and there were several setting buttons for different choices of taste. Through observing the machine, I could think that some of Europeans want to make ice cream in their house even though the machine is expansive.

Some of cookwares were having quite unique shapes but they were just pots or pens, lacking special functions. Thus, I thought these cookware were not helpful as my research references.

Finally, I could find a findue pot and was interested in it. The reason why I was impressed with it was that the fondue pot was having a warmer and my product that I have been planning to design need a warmer as well. Thus, I took the picture of the pot, and I thought it will be helpful for designing my product.

22 Feb Tursday

Today, I visited CSM library to find Korean images and Korean food’s recipes and to research European cookwares or cooking tools. However, unfortunately, I could not find them except a book which is ‘ Wisdom of the earth : Korean architecture ‘. From this book, I could see some beautiful  harmonious Korean architectures with nature. But I was not able to collect good images from them because there was not what I needed some pictures which are showing the structures of Korean traditional architectures. Also, the images in the book were just indicating the atmosphere of architectures. As a result, I thought I should  go to book store to research those which I would want to find today. Nevertheless, it was late in the day, so I decided to go there tomorrow.

23 Feb Friday

Today, I visited book store to buy recipe books on Korean food and Korean traditional architecture or othe3r books, which show Korean images, and some books about European cooking or atmosphere of dinning room. While finding these books, I was able to recognize that the data of beautiful Korean images and Korean traditional architectures were not spread into Europe because I could not find any books about them. And, I was sad about the fact. However, through this fact, I was able to think that it is important to indicate Korean images as a part of Korean wave. In addition to this, I could think that it will work as an important role to introduce Korean culture naturally that Korean Images are contained onto my product which can enjoy Korean wave.

Next, when I read Korean recipe books I was hard to understand how to cook Korean foods because the explanation of recipe was consisted of much letters than images. Thus, if the recipes would be made with images to understand easily for Europeans, it will be better for understanding how to cook the bibimbap and the pork belly barbecue, I thought.

Finally, I was able to find a book on European cooking tools. Form this book, I could understand the shapes of European cooking tools, but there were not significant difference from those which Korean people are using. And between most European cooking tools and both Korean foods – bibimbap and pork belly barbecue which most European people like, there were not similarity. However, I could find a tabletop cookware for fondue from the book. In addition, I was able to know that for the fondue, using pot and its warmer  were general form. Through this information, I could think that the composition of the pot and the warmer should be used for my product which needs a pot or a bowl and a warmer for the two Korean foods. So, I decided to accept fondue in order to be enjoyed it by my product and to give sustainability for my product.

24~25 Feb Saturday, Sunday

During Saturday and Sunday, I researched those which I could not find before. Firstly, I researched Korean cookwares which is related with pork belly barbecue and bibimbap to get idea and create the shape of my product. I found them finally, but it was hard to find the references in English because there was not any data in English on the internet. From this research process, I could recognize that foreigners have been hard to contact with Korean cultures by the internet. Also, I thought If I can show Korean culture with my product, it could be fine to get proudness by my self because Europeans can enjoy Korean culture by using my product.

Next, I researched the structures of Korean traditional architectures to construct my product. The reason why I design it like Korean traditional architecture was that I wanted European people feel the atmosphere of Korean tradition when they have bibimbap and pork belly barbecue. Although there were plenty of different Korean traditional architectures’ structures, I was able to find simple structure of them, and I decided to add the structure into my design.

26 Feb Monday - Speed Dating for Project Progress and Research Workshop -

In this workshop, I got some feedbacks from three different partners. From the first partner, I could know a new website: Box of Broad casts. And, the partner suggests finding some videos related to Korean food on the website. So, I tried to find the videos but some of them were not available and others were not played well. As a result, I could not watch the videos.

Secondly, from the second partner, I heard a suggestion that visiting a museum related to European life. The reason why she suggested it was that my product will be used by Europeans. Although my product is introducing Korean cultures with Korean foods, and I had not known what can I get some useful data from the museum, I tried to find the museum related with European life. Finally, I could find only one museum: it was the British museum. I had visited there two times in the past, so I could know that the museum will be not useful for this time research because in the museum, most of their exhibitions are old and antiquities. Thus, I thought it will be not able to find about contemporary European life style, and I decided not to go there.

Thirdly, the third partner suggested researching about package design. Because, if Korean foods are displayed in market or showed outside, more people could be interested in Korean foods. However, my thought was different to his opinion because if I design packages for Korean foods, it will be just promoting Korean foods unlike propagating Korean food culture. So, I thought I do not have to research about package design.

In conclusion, this workshop did not really heled to me but, I could get an useful website for searching videos. Although the website will be not needed for this time, if I need it latter, it will be useful, I thought.

Materials wall workshop

Materials wall workshop

Materials wall workshop

Materials wall workshop

Materials wall workshop

Materials wall workshop

Materials wall workshop

Did the workshop highlight any aspect of my project that I had not considered?

From this workshop, I could mind considering about designing the shape of stove

Did the workshop change the direction of my project?

No.

Did the workshop suggest new techniques or directions that I might adopt?

I could think about abstract forms or shapes, and through this process, I could find the possibility of creating shapes from abstract sense.

Did I find that working in a group helped to improve the momentum of my project work?

Not really for this project. However, I think this workshop was good because I could see other abstract outcomes containing different senses that I might adopt and that I cannot make, though others’ abstract outcomes were not useful for my recent project.

27 Feb Tuesday - Research analysis workshop

6 Mar Tuesday - Narratives in design workshop -

6 Mar Tuesday - Narratives in desgin workshop -

7 Mar Wednesday - Miniature workshop -

7 Mar Wednesday - Miniature workshop -

12~ 13 Mar Wednesday - Miniature workshop -

8 Mar Thursday - Rethink workshop -

8 Mar Thursday - Rethink workshop -

8 Mar Thursday - Rethink workshop -

8 Mar Thursday - Rethink workshop -

9 Mar Friday

Today, I had progress tutorial for my project. When I shew my design to my tutor, she said that excessive materials have been used for my product and that problem can cause economical disadvantage. So, to solve that problem, she suggested finding some designers’ work, which look simply and consisted of a few materials, through ‘Design Heroes’ handout. And she said my product’s design looks so traditional. When I heard that, I confused how to fix my design because to design my products, I researched Korean traditional products and architecture, and I have been applied the research in my product design, already. However, I could agree with my tutor’s crit because from my point of view, I could feel that my design has been designed in old style as well. Thus, I felt that I need to fix my design in modern style and I was able to decide to redesign it.

As a result, through the tutorial, I was able to learn that using a few materials and designing simply in modern could make beautiful and economical product. And for my future designs, I will consider what I learnt today.

10-11 Mar Saturday, Sunday

Because, Friday, I heard about that I need to fix my design in modern style with a few materials, I started fixing my design. Firstly, I began researching to find what is simple design and how I can use a few materials for my product. To find the good design, I opened ‘Design Heroes’ handout in moodle. There was a lot of designers’ works. Thus, I just started finding their works by searching the designers’ names in the handout and their works on the internet. From A to Z. While researching good works, I could find two products which were simply designed and a few materials were used. Both were using metal and the metals of each products were constructed in a frame, which is strong, light and uncomplex, in each of them. I thought these works could be helpful for redesigning my product, and I started sketching with the reference of the designers’ works. While redesigning my product, I tried to show Korean image on my product with the structure of Korean traditional architecture. However, with metal material which could make my design simply and in modern style, it was hard to show the Korean image. But while sketching more my design, I could know that my product could show the Korean image in the situation which my product’s lid is on the warmer of the product. So, finally, I selected one of the sketches redesigned, I built the sketches by computer modeling program to see how my product will be shown. After modeling it by computer, I could satisfy the design, and I decided to make it after.

15 March Thur

15 Mar Thur

Today, PDC, JFA and ASD got crit time. Before the time, PDC class which is my class got display time to criticize ourselves. Firstly, when I was looking around the other students’ works in the PDC, I could find the fact that there were three types of students. At the beginning of observation, I could find one of the most interesting works by my eyes. The reason why I interested in the work was that there were a lot of test pieces much more than mine. And I was surprised at the student’s passion for them. However, personally, the point of lack for the work was that there were only test pieces without what the student wants to make. Nevertheless, if there is a point that I need to learn from the student, it could be the student’s passion, with plenty of test pieces, for design.

Secondly, the second type of student was who were hesitating what to design, because of their broad range of theme. But, I think that situation was just normal because taking much time for consideration for their design and problem solving could make better design. Compared with them, although I started with quite specific theme, I think if I have their theme, I could make the broad range of theme to specific useful design. Because when I was in the process of design with my theme, I was also hesitate what to design. However, to make sure my purpose, I made research mission, which can make me design specific thing, by myself. As a result, through comparing other’s process and my process, I could learn that researching can make guide route for my design.

Thirdly, the last student whom I think nicely was who chose poor people as target of design. Because, most of students chose general public as target. In addition, the student’s the choice of unique target could make thinking different and unique design, so I thought that if I will design something later, selecting unique target might be helpful to make an outcome, different from other’s works.

After watching my class’s display, I watched JFA class’s display. From the exhibition, what I was interested in was that most of the JFA students were creating their design almost by visual researches. Because, sometimes, I was just designing something with only functions without visual merit. So, form the JFA students’ works, I could learn how to make visual merit on my product.

Finally, when I watching ASD students’ exhibition, the point what I need to learn was drawing environment and condition for outcome. Because I could easily understand what they are designing by the drawing. Therefore, if I have time for drawing environment or condition for my outcome, I want to show them as well.

At the end of exhibition, we got a presentation time for some selected students. Surprisingly, I was selected as a presenter and I was able to present on my project. While I presenting my project, what I was able to learn was that audience feel bored at explanation of staccato way. The reason why I knew that is explained such that way and could see the audience’s boring reaction. From this experience, I could feel that I need to develop my English skill for my speech acutely.

16 Mar Firday

Today, to glaze my bowl and its lid , I visited King’s Cross ceramic workshop. Firstly, I checked my glazes to workshop tutor to make sure the time, when I can paint wiht them on my ceramics. Tutor said I can apply the glazes – white underglaze and black underglaze – on my surfaces of the stuffs before putting them into oven. So, I could start applying the underglazes on my ceramics. If I had not asked that, I might waste my time to cook them for 3days. Fortunately, I was able to glaze on my bowl. When I started glazing, I thought it will take 40 minutes and can put my stuff glazed into oven before 5 PM which is end of time to be able to put it there. However, different from my expectation, glazing took much time because I needed to apply the glazes three times to make perfect colour and pattern. And I recognized that I will not finish the painting by the deadline. Thus, to save my time, I decided to glaze my bowl’s lid, which just need glazing with only a black colour underglaze, to put the lid into oven first. As a result, I could put the lid into oven after glazing it.

After finishing glazing all of my stuffs, I thought that my bowl seemed to be bigger then that I mentioned. So, I measured its radius. Unfortunately, the radius was longer than my plan. And, I got a panic at the moment. To solve this problem, I started thinking, whether making a new bowl is better or designing my product with the mistake newly is much fine. At the end of concern, I decided to design my product with the mistake in this weekend because for me, there is not enough time remained to make a new mould.

19 Mar Mon ( Hats workshop )

19 Mar Mon ( Hats workshop )

19 Mar Mon ( Hats workshop )

• How was the hats workshop different to my usual process of reflection?

I think the difference between the hats workshop and my usual process of reflection is that my general reflection was reflecting my daily process that I have already experienced in my work, while the hats workshop was reflecting with finding problems in advance by imagination.

• Did the hats workshop highlight the problems with my idea / project?

Yes, this workshop could make me highlight my product’s problem with was just in my mind.

• Did the hats workshop help me to identify the strengths of my idea / project?

I think, to me, this workshop did not help to identify my idea’s strengths. I just wrote the strengths of my idea that I had thought before. So, it was not exactly helpful. However, if I did not think about that before, this workshop could be helpful to finding my strengths.

• Did the fast drawing task lead me to any new or improved ideas?

Yes, I had just Known the necessity of new idea and design, but I was not doing generating new idea and design because of my busy making process. However, in this time workshop, I could make them fast by under pressure form giving limited time.

• Did the workshop lead me towards any new directions that I might adopt?

I don’t think so, because problems that I found in my design process do not require a big change for my design direction. So, there will not be new directions for my project, and there will be some small changes.

Who workshop

Who workshop

Evaluation Writing Handout

Has my project changed from what I initially proposed? If so, why and how?

There were three changes in my project compare with my first concept idea. Firstly, my product’s design was changed into modern design. In the middle of term of Unit7, I thought that my product’s design seemed like old fashioned product and it used too many kinds of materials. To solve this problem, I, using design hand out, researched modern designs which are not used many different materials and looks beautiful. And, I re-designed my product simply and beautifully in modern style.

Secondly, my product’s design had to be changed because of my mistake. When I was making ceramics after the process of slip-casting, I noticed that my pot/bowl was formed in different size because of my measuring mistake. I could not make new one in right size because I did not have time to build a new mould for the slip-casting. Thus, I had to fix my design considering the mistake.

Lastly, the warmer’s shape was a little bit changed. Contrary to my thought, bending and cutting steel bar (10mm thickness) took much time and it needed much depletion of my stamina to do them. So, for some part of my warmer, I cut only 2 times and welded instead of 8 times of banding. As a result, in this process, my warmer design was a little bit changed.

If I could start my project again, what would I do differently?

If I can re-start of my making and found with metal, I want to make my product’s lid by melting iron. Because I think it is better to make the grill (the lid) with iron.

What is the most successful and what is the least successful aspect of my project? 

From my point of view, the most successful part of my process was the problem solving process. Although in the idea developing and making parts, there were a lot of problems, I was able to solve all of them through researching and re-designing. And my worst part was a making measuring mistake in my making process. Because of this small mistake, I had to spend much time to fix my design.

What are my strengths and my weaknesses?

In the end of Unit 7, now I can say that my strengths were designing my product beautifully and functionablely, and building good quality of outcome. Because I give my effort for designing my outcomes by re-designing four times, and I showed wisdom by using tools in different ways in metal and wood workshop.

On the other hand, my weakness was the time management because it was hard to give a time for reflecting on my process after finishing hard work in making workshop. So, I tended to write the reflections in a day.

Assuming, I have achieved my intended outcomes, could I now take these concepts and ideas further and if so, in which way?

If there is the package of topping for bibimbap, Europeans will contact Korean food much easily.

Looking back on my project, are there additional research, development or outcomes I could have come up with to improve my submission?

There were additional research and development and an outcome. When it comes to additional research, I researched some modern products and changed my design batter from old fashioned design to simple modern design. In terms of additional development, I solved and developed some issues that I found in making process. Lastly, additional outcome was fork-chopsticks which was needed for additional food: fondue food.